Saturday 6 December 2008

Barbie (A Vintage Broad)


Barbie... Oh, Barbie... Is she the loveliest girl you ever saw?...

Well, frankly, no. To put it bluntly, she looks like a right old slapper (that may need translating for my American readers, but I'm not even going to attempt it!) As all doll fans know, the early Barbie doll was modelled on a German doll called Bild Lilli, who was... let's say, no better than she ought to be. This Barbie is a mid-sixties version. I think she's a 'Swirl Ponytail', for all you fact fans. It's hard to tell, as she's had the haircut from hell. Which is why I made her a lovely hat. I didn't have any suitable Barbie clothes, but I found this nasty polyester leopard print dress, and somehow it just seemed to go. She's got such tarty make-up, she may as well have the clothes (and tasteless bling) to go with it.

Don't get the wrong impression though, I think she's great. Especially an old Barbie like this. She's been with me for years, and although I knew she was a 'vintage' Barbie, it was only recently that I actually looked her up to check her age. Well, you don't like to ask, do you? She might have been sensitive about it. Now I think she's a marvellous old broad.

Of course, Barbie is the premier pink playroom princess all over the world - American domination even in the world of toys. If like me, you're British, and grew up with Sindy, you may have different views. (See last week's blog.) But I hope we can all enjoy this gem -





Until next week, Happy Dollying!

3 comments:

Charis Sharpe said...

Sindy is undeniably cuter than Barbie!

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

How could you say such salacious things about beloved Barbie!
Though I have to admit.. anyone with legs up to their armpits and a bosom the size of the alps has to have dubious intentions!

BusyLizzie said...

wondeful Barbie clip.... I was a Sindy fan.. but would have loved a Barbie if you could have bought them in this country!
lizzie x